Thursday, April 11, 2013

Let the circus begin: political ads – part 1

I suspect we won’t ever lack for material should campaign season and campaign ads never end.

I haven’t been here (this blog) because my mind has been elsewhere, that is, floating about pondering on life with no real conclusion actually. In short, my mind has just been a drift. So, that’s that. I am trying not to be a drifter now, btw.

Also, another thing that I've been doing: watching local soaps at night. (Why? I'm not sure either.)

So, while only occasionally tuning in to the local soaps I've been subjected to a barrage of sad political commercials hence I really cannot help but react, so here it goes...

collage from random photos of these circus participants off the net
Celeb Endorsements

Coco Martin & Angara Jr. – I’ve never liked Sarah Geronimo but I do see why she charms the masses. I’ve always thought she was a sell out for endorsing politicians, Angara Sr. and who’s that other guy who wore a chef’s hat?

Well, I don’t know, Coco Martin, you may have come from humble beginnings, and you haven’t have a lot of fairly respectable commercials even if you’re a big soap star now, but that bit where you endorsed Angara Jr. looked just so cheesy. I understand, money is money, and you were probably well paid. I can’t blame you exactly for being a sell out as well. Unfortunately, I fear that your endorsement may actually be effective. I mean, Sarah G. was effective right? (And so was Judy Ann for Jamby, right?) 

Papa Chen & Magsaysay – In Boy Abunda’s words, “ikaw na” Richard Yap. Seriously, he may be the Chow King man and the heartthrob for the middle age housewife set but what really qualifies him to make political endorsements? This is just hilarious.

Colloquial Terms and Catchphrases 

I get it. They want to project that they’re in with the kids of today. I get it. They want a phrase that will stick. Even if Enrile looked like a silly old goat who kept on saying “gusto ko happy ka” on his ads where he kept highlighting some achievement he of his in relation to texting. But, hey, he still won despite all the ridiculousness. 

“Drawing” - Now this Magsaysay Jr. person is trying to look youthful by using the catchphrase “drawing” and by seemingly cleverly used a comic book look (or graphic novel look) to his ad – you know because he’s not “drawing” so his ads are half literal drawing looking and half real life looking? I don’t know, I think it’s cheesy but who really knows? I’m not the target market of these things.

“Hanep” – Well, we all can deduce that Mrs. Villar has no acting skills. She doesn’t look pleasant nor is she charming, and she has that semi-gma-like stiff smile to her. So, her campaign’s chosen catchphrase is “hanep”. I feel that hanep isn’t even that current, that is, if they were trying to be cool. But I suppose the word works for what she is trying to stand for, giving people alleged livelihood.

(On this note, I find it extremely lame and more so that she dissed those nurses since their family’s platform has always been about the “mahirap” – from poverty, helping the poor, hanging out with poor kids of tondo and giving the poor work. But whatever, do we really expect these people to be real?)

But what do I think of the ad and the hanep catchphrase? Lame and cheesy. Then again, I’m not the market. It might work. It probably would, which is just utterly sad. 

Rhyme, Raps, and Musicals

Yeah, musicals are in. I get it. I am one of those people who like these cheesy musicals. I get it. Those shampoo commercials where people sang sold well. Anne Curtis musical commercial probably sold well even though she can’t actually sing. So, I see why ad agencies would pitch these ideas to politicians.

Musical Theater Maceda – Actually, I can’t even remember his ad now. I just know it was a weird musical type. Hmm, just didn't stick to me.

Jamby Madrigal - Jajaja-jamby, mahal ang mahirap, galit sa corrupt”. Wow. Wonder how long the ad makers took to think of that one? Actually, her ad seems pretty low budget. From what I noticed, aside from the weird rap line, is that it was produced shabbily. I probably could have done a better editing job myself. If she could afford to pay Judy Ann Santos, why can't she fund a better ad campaign?

The Gordon Rap – The weird rap/musical ad featured a kid singing about how Gordon helped her get a hole in her anus. (I kid you not.)

I mean, yes, these things happen but does the kid have to be singing about it on air?! Wonder how this ad got thought up and how on earth it got approved for execution. It confounds me.

I mean, seriously, a rap ad about a kid singing about her butt hole?! In what parallel universe? Well, apparently, it's in this one.

Honorable Mentions:

The Grace Poe ad that lamely does wordplay on “po” and “poe”. I find it cheesy but I’m not particularly annoyed at Grace Poe and since her ad is so short, it seemed somewhat or simply low budget so, ok, I’m just letting it go.


a screen shot a few months ago from the yahoo mail home page

Chiz's absurd endorsements and his Heart showbiz debacle. Enough said.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment