Friday, April 12, 2013

The Pope, Margaret Thatcher, and Kim Jong Un

New Pope

So, apparently we have a new pope now. This is a late reaction but I did find it odd that Pope Benedict quit, primarily because it breaks from tradition and the Church such a stickler for convention, rituals and symbols, are they not?

This being said, it’s cool that Cardinal Tagle actually made the list of Papables on CNN.

"Hi", photo from the guardian website
It seems to me that the new Pope has more of friendly Pope vibe than Pope Benedict so this seems like a good thing as well. He is a first of many things. First from Latin America, first named Francis and the first Jesuit, which I also find very notable.

And hey, he also commutes and walks with the people, which will probably drive the Swiss guards nuts but it's cool. It's a good public character story for a Pope.

Margaret Thatcher

I used to follow British politics because I had a thing for watching Tony Blair’s political career after the whole Iraq WMD episode. I, unfortunately, still haven’t watched the Iron Lady movie so while I do know some things about Margaret Thatcher, I don't know that much, seeing as her time came way before my time.

photo from gawker.com
 I am, though, also aware that there are people in Britain with opposing views who rejoiced her death but, for all that hate, I do believe that Baroness Thatcher definitely made a major mark in British and world politics. I, of course, always cheer on and applaud women in power. She was the first and only UK PM. So, RIP Margaret Thatcher.

Kim Jong Un

Chillin', photo from the mirror website
A new bad man has arrived.

With the deaths of Sadam Hussein, Bin Laden, Gadhafi, Hugo Chavez,(etc.) and the ouster of the Arab Spring dictators, I suppose North Korea saw an opportunity to hold the attention of the world stage.

Enter Kim Jong Il’s kid, so young and so in need of bad man credibility?

It’s been said that countries are threading lightly because no one really wants any wars to erupt or, as been also said, they also don’t want the north and south to reunite either. (I know - whatever happened to wanting world peace, right?!)

So, here we are waiting with bated breaths.... Countries arming themselves, back channeling and trying figuring it all out if he is to be taken seriously. 

Welcome Kim Jong Un.... It seems you've arrived.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment