Thursday, February 14, 2013

Happy Valentine’s Day!

I was going to write about a list of random things that I wanted to react about since the last post (before an overwhelming barrage of to do’s and an incompetent sense of organization had befallen me) but I’m not feeling much of it anymore (maybe next time I’d revisit some things when the mood strikes).

So, no more Happy New Year or Happy Chinese New Year or Happy Mardi Gras or Happy Ash Wednesday (ok, that's not exactly happy...) - We're skipping that!

So today, I’ve decided to update this blog again. And, why not start on Valentine’s Day? Not that I’m feeling romantic, because I’m not really. But just because I find Miriam’s take on Valentine’s so bizarrely funny that I just want to repost it here.

So, here's Valentine’s day in the words of Miriam Santiago:


“Alam niyo ba ang iba pang tawag sa Valentine's day? Para sa malungkot na single, ang tawag dito ay Single's Awareness Day. Para sa mga masaya na single, ang tawag dito ay Single's Independence Day. Pero sa mga walang pakialam, ang tawag dito ay Thursday.”

“Did you know that an earthworm has five hearts, whereas an octopus has two hearts? Kaya kung may kilala ka na nagmamahal ng higit sa dalawa, tanungin mo kung anong klaseng hayop sila.”

“Para sa mga single, umuwi nang maaga mula sa school o sa trabaho para isipin nila may date ka.”

Oh, Miriam, you used to be so very respectable. Now, you’re more of a comedian. I know that to some extent the system has just eaten you up. I know that deep inside you, you still have all that sense, however, it’s so hard to take you seriously (though I do know that you usually are deliberately grandstanding) when you are like this.

Incidentally, I was watching the news last night and was surprised to find out that according to an SWS survey (apparently, they are not limited to just senatoriable rankings these days) that only 13% of the people in this country have no love life while an overwhelming majority of 70+% believe that love will come on its own and that there is no need to chase after it.

So, all these the people who have been asking me to set them up with people and all the people I know who has been chasing after people… are, apparently, against the country’s statistical curve.

Hmm? 

I, recently, just (jokingly) asked my friend this: Are you starting to live like a Cathy comic strip? (As she has started spending Saturday nights with soap operas and DVDs) 

And so, I end this post with a Cathy comic strip: 


To the 13%, it's ok, it's alright... It's just a Thursday night :)


Happy Valentine's Day to All!


No comments:

Post a Comment