Friday, April 12, 2013

YOLO: LIVE LIFE. BE HAPPY. STOP MAKING OTHER PEOPLE FEEL LIKE CRAP.

YOLO

Statements like “you only live once” (YOLO), “Carpe Diem”, “live life”, “money is not everything” and other statements created in the same vein, did not become popular clichés because they are meant as a joke or meant to be frivolous.

They’ve become statements we all have come to know. They exist in most fairy tales, feel good novels and movies. We know that we only have this life. We all know that it feels good to love and to be loved in return. In theory, we all want happiness, contentment, security and, perhaps, the feeling of being loved. These things are a given.

We are all human. At the core of it all, we are all just trying to move along and get on with lives.

Valuing what matters in life, it’s not rocket science.

But when did all these become things that people make you feel bad for?

Every single day, everyone is about competing, trying to get ahead, looking over their shoulders and comparing themselves to others while constantly judging each other.

Apparently, I’m an Idealist. 


People I know have frowned upon me for looking for ways to live my life, to try to enjoy myself, and to try to be happy, and for valuing the real things that, I believed, mattered like morality, respect, loyalty, being supportive to others, etc.

I tell people to take it easy because I believe that when people are too pressured (to be whatever it is they are aiming to be), they start to doubt themselves and become insecure, their judgments and behaviors become clouded. I believe that it’s just hard to function with confidence or make the right decisions when you’re constantly bombarded with such stress.

I tell people it’s alright to make mistakes because another cliché tells us that no one is perfect and yet another cliché tell us that we learn from our mistakes. I also believe that if we stop kicking ourselves for doing something wrong, it will be easier for us to get up and make things work again.

All of these things, I try to do for myself. But every time I give myself some breathing space, these people suddenly feel the need to tell me how I am not doing things right. These people tell me I should be more cutthroat, ruthless, mean, or be more insecure about whatever action it is that I have done, otherwise I will not become a “success” or the “right” kind of person they deem I should be.

Some of these people have implied that the things I value make people (i.e. me) weak.

Some days, when I’m feeling under the weather, I start to question myself and wonder: Is it just me? Should I start being a manipulative cut throat assh*le so I can finally be filthy rich?!

Apparently, I’m idealistic. This I find weird because I strive to be a realist. BUT, unfortunately, the reality where I thought that clichés about living life and seeking real happiness exist has gone and shifted on its axis.

Suddenly, thinking about all these clichés has made me an idealist. Well, what do you know?

I respect ambition. I respect talent. I respect hard work. I respect accomplishments. And, I could also respect luck. BUT I also respect innate goodness. I also value the realness of people. I also value the care and concern of good people. I also value the fulfillment one gets when one is with people who are supportive and who accept you for who you are.

I frown upon these judgers. I frown upon other people who need to keep on putting people down, telling others they are wrong and feeling constantly superior about everything just so they can convince themselves that they are indeed better. I frown upon all these people who constantly disrespect other people’s lives and dignity. You are the real unfortunate ones. 

I value money and success like the next person. Who doesn’t want to make it? BUT I simply also value being human. 

My Advice

So to these people: If you want to constantly think this way, that’s fine. I could respect that this is the decision you have made on how to live your lives.

BUT PLEASE, we don’t want to hear about it.

STOP INFECTING OTHERS WITH YOUR MEAN SPIRITED WAYS! (photo from the Mean Girls Movie)
STOP infecting everyone with your mean spirit, alleged superior ways, and corrupted behavior!

YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE. TRY TO LIVE LIFE. TRY TO BE HAPPY.

STOP MAKING PEOPLE FEEL LIKE CRAP.

Who knows, you might come to like it. You know, being happy and being a nice person.
-

No comments:

Post a Comment