Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Pnoy vs. Corona

The TV was on the entire day, yesterday, while I was surfing the net, updating our social networking pages, burning Christmas PR CDs and working on my paper. So, my concentration was clearly impaired, I thought it was just about another impeachment filing and as history would have it, it seems ever since Clinton was put forth for an impeachment trial, the Philippines (with all its history of colonial mentality) has been impeaching everyone ever since. Given that there was some buzz that GMA was just being impeached then (with the intention for the move to fail) so that she could not be impeached again all throughout the year (so very diabolical). But, still, no one has been successfully impeached…until now, that is.

In a blink of an eye, Corona was indeed impeached. Exciting times, you say? Only, I didn’t even notice it until the news replay was on in the wee hours of the night (or early morning, I think that was). So, hey, he was impeached after all.

I have no particular feelings for him. When he was appointed just before GMA stepped down, I did felt that was shady. I am no lawyer. I have no affinity for the Supreme Court or have any empathy for its (former) head. So, I guess, that’s that. Let the PR wars begin.

Speaking of our president, what I’ve wanted to say for a long while now: I really like it that he uses Tagalog in his speeches. Even better, he does not use street Tagalog but utilizes a more formal tone, even when he is lambasting people.

I bet you that most of our officials cannot maintain a conversation on this level of the national language. It truly is a pet peeve of mine when government officials are interviewed on air or when they make speeches and they try to use Tagalog but eventually inserts more and more English words, like they couldn’t think in or (apparently) cannot communicate decently in the country’s national language.

This annoys me because (Dude) you’re a public official.

With this, the resignation speech of Zubiri comes to mind. I remembered he tried very hard to communicate in Tagalog but it was obvious that his command was lacking. It just sounded very “conio”.

So, ok, kudos to you Pnoy on your Tagalog speeches, although today, I must say, there were a lot of pauses, mispronunciations and some repeats. It wasn't "conio" sounding, just seemed like you didn't practice the speech. But, hey, I can still accept that, for now, just don't start dating.

No comments:

Post a Comment