Friday, December 23, 2011

I heart Container Homes

Call it weird but I had this container housing phase.

That is, I really wanted to build and live in a container house. I have since realized that this will never happen. I actually do not have an empty lot to my name, so where will I build this phantom house? And in this country, we don’t have these cool and livable container house complexes:

CONTAINER CITY, LONDON:Container City I is environmentally friendly with over 80% of the building created from recycled material. Installation took 4 days, and 25 containers for a total of 15 live/work and studio spaces.

KEETVONEN COMPLEX AMSTERDAM: Billed as the largest container city in the world and houses 1000 students. Each resident enjoys a balcony, bathroom, kitchen, separate sleeping and studying rooms and large windows. The complex has central heating and high speed Internet, as well as dedicated bike parking.


The recent tropical storm disaster reminded me of my container house phase. I was thinking, why don't the government just build container homes for the displaced people, as a temporary housing or as a solution to the informal settlers (aka squatters) problem?

They can probably stack them up to an engineering approved level to maximize the space that would be available. These structures could accommodate a lot of people and are relatively cheap to make. They're fast and easy to build. And from what I've read, they're pretty sturdy too.

If I’m not mistaken (I think I saw this on CNN), container homes were also built for the displaced victims of the Japan Tsunami.

It's really not a bad idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment