Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Wimbledon, a series of bizarre incidents

Mercury is in retrograde. I blame that.

Something's in the air and logic cannot explain it.

It was Nadal's defeat in round 1. Though I said, he looked injured. And, he was out in round 2 last year... so maybe that's ok. 

And then like a weird epidemic: Lots of others slipped and fall, withdrew and got unexpectedly knocked out. Azarenka, Sharapova, Tsonga, Isner.... among the many seeds that were out barely into week 1. 

And THEN: Roger was out. He was not saved from all the madness. He wasn't even injured. He didn't even play badly.

To me, it was just sheer bad luck. That is, the other guy suddenly played extraordinarily well on the day, yes, (only to be beaten badly on the next round) but based on total points, he actually just scored 1 point more than Roger on total points.

A 1 point lead in the total points?! Hardly anything that should make people cry out (again) that Roger's deteriorating nor should it mean that Roger played so badly that day - because he didn't.

Oh, Roger, to me, you're still a winner...
(photo from the official website)
Certainly, it made me feel so very sad for Roger's quarterfinal grand slam streak to be broken at his most favorite tournament, Wimbledon. AND, by 1 point only!

I still am feeling blue about it to be honest. I didn't even want to continue watching after day 3. 

As it is, everyone seems to be out now. More seeds were out soon after (like Serena, though I'm not particularly upset about that). I half expected Murray or Djokovic to bow out just to go with the trend.  

So, who are my bets now? 

I don’t feel too much about those who are left so I don't care all that much on who wins. 

But if you force me to choose... For the women's, maybe, Radwanska or Lisicki or Sloane Stevens and for the men's, maybe, someone who has never won a grand slam, someone totally new or some old timer who would make a good story out of the win. 

Must say, I am now somewhat apathetic about Wimbledon 2013. That’s all I've to say.

Ho Hum.

No comments:

Post a Comment