Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Royal Baby Watch + The SONA


Royal Baby Watch

While trouble shooting my laptop and internet connection and doing some work done, I tuned into the Royal Baby coverage. I was never an enthusiast for the royals, well the current ones, though I did read my share of books and watch several shows/movies about historical British royals.

I don’t know, Prince William never did it for me. Princess Diana thrived when I was too young to care. And, I think Kate Middleton seems too (gasp) boring. I don’t even like her fashion choices (though I get it, she needs to look respectable and squeaky clean).

I’ve read some regency (embarrassed smile) romance novels recently and all I can say is, Kate, you’ve really moved on up in the world, my dear.

From a pretty townie (which likely possess average smarts and talent – just because we’ve not heard anything about her intelligence, career prospects or anything…) to a duchess and mother to the future King, you’ve so made it.  

I don’t know, I probably wouldn’t be saying this, except the mini documentary I saw made it seemed like she somewhat sought to befriend him (then again, if we were enrolled there, wouldn’t we also try to?). The editorial slant just felt mildly predatory to me, that's all, but who really knows?

And... just when you think it's over... Now, the fuss is about the baby's name.... Any bets???





The SONA

So, ok, I confess, I wasn’t able to catch it. I heard it was long. And, I’ve no time to read the transcript or look into the issues in detail yet. 

photo from the Philippine Star website
I did catch a couple of programs discussing the SONA and caught some clips from the news.

I will skip commenting on the ridiculous glorified saya fashion show. (Normally, I am an enthusiast of fashion but not this time) 

Generally, everyone said it was good enough. It’s above average. Some critics even gave it high marks.

I, personally, still approve of the very Tagalog approach to it.

It has been said that the SONA was here and there. There was a lot of criticism of what was not mentioned or discussed: FOI bill, pork barrel, the South China Sea, and the sex for flight issue. Also, the Customs department got a lot of flak, Ruffy Biazon’s resignation was rejected. Hmm?

But, still, the country is on the up. From a 10 year or so decline from the previous administration, we are on the upward trend now just 2-3 years into Pnoy’s term. No matter how you look at it, it’s still an economic turnaround, even if you say that it hasn’t tricked down to the masses.  

Hey, an upward trend that still has not tricked down is still better than a downward trend that’s bringing everyone further down.   

AND I still stand by this, though I could name a few cynical people I know that would disagree, he is championing an anti-corrupt slogan and this is (you’d think it would be obvious): Good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment