Monday, May 6, 2013

The Political Circus: Maalaala Mo Kaya , More Musicals, and Pres / VP Endorsements


Maalaala Mo Kaya

Enrile conveniently had his life story featured on MMK. JPE has been criticized for the move, showing these 2 episodes a few weeks before the elections where his son (with the same name) is running for a senatorial post.


JPE with stars of his MMK 2 part episode, Enrique Gil and Bugoy CariƱo.
Photo from Jack Enrile’s Facebook page 

He should be criticized, I agree. I was just surprised there were actually people who criticized him. I mean as much as I would like to say shame on Enrile, a whole lot of other candidates have done this stunt too. And, no one particularly made a big deal out of those episodes.

The Cayatano clan comes to mind. I remember more than a few episodes featuring the Cayatanos and they actually won their posts so perhaps the MMK stunt has been quite effective.

I also remember a Miriam Santiago episode on MMK, starring Julia Clarete and Tessie Tomas, shown just before she won her current senatorial term.

What I would like to say really is: shame on all of you.

Also... JPE = Enrique Gil? OH. Please.

On this note, I would just like to say that I wonder what brand new creative plot lines emerged in these MMK episodes. I didn't see the 2 part feature. All I am saying is that his life story has been embellished so many times that no one is even enraged about it anymore. It seems people just expected it to be the norm now. 

More Musicals

The Glee Kids - Again, the most ridiculous one I’ve seen so far, in my opinion is Jack Enrile’s musical ad. WHY? There a lot of reasons why but the main reason for me is this: Jinggoy Estrada and Tirso Cruz III dancing beside Jack Enrile like they are chuwariwap dancers with GLEE expressions plastered on their faces.

Seriously, I can’t get over it. Jinggoy Estrada is already a senator. Why does he have to do this to himself? Ok, to get an ally in position, but does he really have to look that stupid? I half expected him to pull out spirit fingers. I watched him in senate probes and I began to see him in a semi respectable way for actually knowing and understanding the things that he talks about (because well, not all of them do) but now this. Dancing like a silly idiot beside Jack Enrile Jr. like a backup dancer. Um...?

And Tirso Cruz III? These days he usually gets the strict father figure role in shows and then he suddenly bursts into this goofy dance? It’s just so off.  

Imagine that: a commercial featuring a congressman in the middle, a senator at the side and a veteran actor on the other side and all of them dancing like fools with smiley Glee faces. It’s ridiculous. It’s weird. It’s sad.

Call Me Maybe? Call Me JV?  - At first I thought: OMG they didn’t go there. Then I listen closely to it again – and OMG they did go there.

Wow. JV’s TV ad actually featured the song Call Me Maybe and the tagline is actually “Let's Vote for JV”.

Wow. Wonder what Carly Rae Jepson and Justin Bieber think of that. (Wonder if they were paid some copyright fee or something for this?) 

screen cap from the the youtube video of the JV Ejercito Call Me Maybe Ad

For a split second I was thinking, how will it go? You know cause it’s a song about giving one’s number and probably hooking up. But as I listened closely, they actually changed the lyrics and included lines like “Hey, siya si JV, like ng marami, para sa bayan. Let's vote for JV

"eto na ang LIKE ng tao" --- Um, O..K...? 

In theory, the concept isn’t so bad. Is it cheesy, pandering and clearly out to capitalize on youth trends and social media? For sure. It is effective? Maybe?

At least, I would prefer to look at random kids (and security guards, a couple in their bedroom, a guy on his treadmill, and a host of other characters featured in the video) singing/dancing in these so called youtube videos than to see Jack Enrile Jr with Jinggoy and Tirso Cruz III dance around like Glee Kids. 

However, all of this it still makes me feel sad about Philippine politics: politicians dancing like Glee kids,  dressed up youtubers singing that a politician is "like ng marami".... SIGH.   

Noy Noy & Binay Goes Into Overtime

I am starting to wonder how much of the President and VP’s time is spent shooting these days. It seems they are endorsing people left and right. TV, radio, sorties… 

I mean, other ads are better than others. Though it makes me somewhat cringe sometimes when the President or the VP even have to repeat the corny taglines of whoever they endorse. 

It’s funny. It’s weird. But I guess, hey, that’s just politics. 

No comments:

Post a Comment