Saturday, July 7, 2012

Roger, let’s party like its 2009!


I've been busy, again, or out of the country, or occupied doing lots of random things that I can’t seem to organize. As I've been saying these past few days, I want to be Zen again! I don’t know what has happened, I’m not quite sure, maybe it’s all these little things that I have to do and all these little comments from everyone else that has seemed to have piled up for some reason.

But in my suddenly chaotic mind, there is a moment of reprieved, as last night Roger beat Djokovic at the Wimbledon semi-finals! And it was truly a great performance!

The match was on of a very high quality of tennis. Djokovic can say all he wants that he was subpar and that he wasn’t feeling well but his game wasn’t that bad at all. It was a matter of the game being played at Roger’s pace. Roger just had some rhythm going on there. Meanwhile, Djokovic at some point just seemed to be trying too hard to take riskier shots, just to be more aggressive, and the shots just did not pan out.

Must say, I truly love it when you’re playing like that, Roger! I have seriously missed that.



After that medical time out drama during the Malisse match, I was just so worried that he’s not going to be able to get a fighting chance but what do you know, it’s like last year’s French Open again where he came out and annihilated Djokovic off the court like it was 2009 again! (or the years before that, except 2008, that is).

So hurray! Even if I’m not feeling as Zen and have found myself somewhat at a loss as to how to go back there again... I’ve been gifted with Roger’s win over Djokovic!

Seriously though, I think Roger has a great chance against a less than stellar and very much sulky Murray in the finals but I’m not going to fully say it as I don’t want to jinx it.

Murray, ironically, reached the finals of Wimbledon at a point in his career when he’s actually playing just sub par. He has been complaining of injuries and at the start of this particular tournament, he even mentioned that he didn't think he was going to win this tournament. How's that for his confidence about this standing. He's in the finals due to Nadal's absence, but hey, Murray will still take it. Looking at his face after he won against a full of errors Tsonga play, you’d think he won the entire thing already. He looked like he was about to cry.

But anyway, after Roger’s win last night, for me, it just felt like he won the tournament already. I'm quite satisfied as a fan and anything more (like another Wimbledon title and regained #1 rank) is truly an extra. Well, super great extras, but still, I'm quite happy about last night's turn of events.

As someone who commented on an article of Roger’s win had nicely recapped it for me:

16 Grand Slam Single Titles.
6 ATP Tour Finals Titles.
20 ATP Masters 1000 Titels.
237 Continous Weeks at n.1 of ATP rankings.
285 Total Weeks at n.1 ATP rankings.
1 of 7 players to hold Career Grand Slam title.
5 or more times Finalist in each Grand Slam Tournament.
24 total Grand Slam Finals.
10 Grand Slam finals in a row.
23 Consecutive Grand Slam Semi-Finals.
Olympic Gold Medal.
8 Years consecutively in top 2 rankings.
Best Player of the year for 9 consecutive years.
Stephan Edberg Sportmanship Award for 7 consecutive years.
Laureus World Sportsman of the Year for 4 consecutive years.
N.1 on list of 100 greatest Tennis Players of All Times.
Arthur Ashe Humanitarian of the Year Award.
2nd Most Trusted and Respected person in the world behind Nelson Mandela

Roger is the Greatest Player of All Time! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment